Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Strength

I was praying for a friend this morning. I was praying she would have the strength to get through the day while exhausted and having no choice but to keep on moving.

This lead me to think about strength. As I was praying and thinking, "Is this what I should be praying for her", I remember strength is what we all need because we are not very strong on our own. I have to feel His strength because life is a challenge. I am just being real. There may be people out there who breeze on through, but I doubt it, and if there are, I am not one of them. Everyday I face my weaknesses. Some days are harder than others obviously, but the truth is, I battle depression, fear, anxiety and some days they slap me around and win for a moment or two. These weaknesses lie to me, cause me to give up, defeat me. I can't conquer them on my own. The phrases "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" or "God helps those who help themselves" are well intended, but are they really the truth?

I don't think so. From what I can tell, He helps the desperate, blind, poor, lame, sick, broken of this world. Spiritually and emotionally I have...or still do...fit into all the "weak" categories. But let me say, I have one powerful God who loves to gently and patiently pick me up and set me back on my feet when I have had no sleep, have had an argument with someone whose heart I adore, there are too many things to do or face in a day, and I am just plain weak, exhausted, sad, angry, or all of the above. In my weakness, I am made strong because of Him. I would love to say that I take my limitations in stride and with good cheer, but I fight them...frequently. But, I do know that without them, I would not be the person I am today. I would not have the compassion that I have toward others. I would be judgmental if I was able to rescue myself. He has put in me the strength to put one foot in front of the other, and He has given me the assurance that I am being made into what he wants me to be because of my weaknesses. Nothing is wasted with Him. He never gives up on me, never throws me into the junk pile and thinks He needs to start over. He just keeps plugging along with me, picking me up when I stumble over the chair in the middle of the floor or that dust mite that seems to get me once in awhile...flattening me like a little one. I wish I didn't fall, but I love what this says. "My weaknesses push me to my knees and there is no danger then of walking around high and mighty." I am aware of my need for Him, and I am grateful that the things of this world drive me to Him. I know full well that without Him...I can really screw things up and be trampled. I can rest down here on my knees.

2 Corinthians 12:9
The Message (MSG)
7-10Because of the extravagance of those revelations, and so I wouldn't get a big head, I was given the gift of a handicap to keep me in constant touch with my limitations. Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me,

My grace is enough; it's all you need.
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.

No comments: